Friday, February 8, 2008

Piece & Plenty Blocks 4 & 5, and Other Stuff

It has been a very busy week. I have had lots of energy and am desperately trying to get caught up on some quilting chores. They are called chores because all they do is clean up your sewing table a bit so you can load it back up. And that is what I did, lol.

Several weeks ago I gave my Janome Gold to a friend of mine’s little girl who is 10. She was so excited. I bought it in 2000 when I started quilting and I hadn’t used it in a couple of years. I thought that would be a good thing to do with it. Her mother bought her over and I showed her how to use it and she was so excited, she told her mother “I hope you intend to stay up all night.”


I felt very good about this for several days, and then I went to my daughter’s house to babysit. All of a sudden I didn’t have my traveling machine and I really was in the middle of doing a lot of quilting. I didn’t want to drag my Pfaff or Bernina with me and so I ended up not doing any sewing.

All I did was play with the Wii and watch “dumb” movies. If anyone likes Christopher Walken you have to watch Balls of Fire, it is so dumb, but typical Christopher Walken stuff. And the other one we watched was the one with The Rock and the little girl, forgotten the name of it. As my daughter and I and grandsons are watching the Balls of Fire at 11 that night and laughing ourselves silly from the dumbness we looked at each other and just almost cried we laughed so hard. I’m talking dumb here.

Anyway, I decided after that that I really needed to get a lightweight sewing machine. The others are just getting too heavy for me to lug around. Especially since I am not supposed to lift over 10 pounds with my right arm. So I went to see the local Janome dealer and came home with the new Janome Platinum. Weights 12 pounds and I just love it. They have put a variable stitch length and width capability on it and a few other refinements. Perfect for a class or travel machine. I also took the Pfaff to have it cleaned up, poor thing has never been in for cleaning.



With that now available to me I signed up for the weekly Wednesday sew-ins at the LQS. I took my new baby to the sew-in on Wednesday and spent the whole day making two blocks of the Web Sampler. Lots of pieces. Will show you Monday when we have our update.
While there I “just had to have” this Kaffe Fassett quilt kit. Isn’t it gorgeous? I have been cutting it out a little at a time the past 2 days. I am getting it ready to sew at next week’s sew-in.
I have also gotten my Piece and Plenty blocks 4 and 5 finished. Just in time, the newest one arrived yesterday. They seem to be getting more intricate, but they are so pretty.


And Miss Katie and her momma came by yesterday and Katy ate some cheese and fritos and dunked her cookie in some milk. Her momma and Aud and I ate tamales and queso. They were so good! They stop by a couple of times a week on their way to or from home and Katy always has to have something to eat. So this has become a ritual...chees, fritos, and milk, lol.


I decided not to give Katy the Urban Garden quilt. Instead I put it on my bed for February, and gave her one I made a couple of years ago that is perfect for a young girl’s room.. Here she is acting silly with it.


And that catches me up for the week. I am going to read some for a change. I have started Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett and I am going to try to read a little every day. It will take a while, but so far I am throughly enjoying it.

14 comments:

Unknown said...

The Kaffe Fassett quilt kit fabric is amazing! Love it! I've been listening to Pillars of the Earth on my ipod while quilting. I think it was 42 hours and I only have 24 minutes left! It will be sad to say good-bye to Prior Phillip and the rest.

Red Geranium Cottage said...

That little girl is adorable. I want one!!!!! Please tell my Boo this for me. LOL
And I think I'll try your new diet. It sound yummy!!!!
Love your new little sewing machine. You just have to have one of those. There the best.

Carol said...

Your new quilt is going to be awesome...that little Katy is as cute as she can be...I'm on my way for snacks at your house...that's right up my alley.

Anonymous said...

That was such a sweet thing for you to do by giving your machine to that little girl! My own started sewing a few years ago and she received her own machine as a gift. She's 9 and is in quilting classes right now. It's opened a completely new world for her. She's very artistic and at the same time shy and it's hard for her to make friends. Now that she's going to classes and is in the classroom with 6 other little girls - I see her breaking the shyness barrier a bit!

MARCIE said...

Darling little Katy and beautiful quilt! She looks totally delighted! I know I would be! Also, giving your machine to that little girl was very sweet and generous! I love her enthusiasm! Next you will be showing us her quilts!

Karen said...

I am very interested in seeing your Piece & Plenty blocks as you go along on them. I have only seen a line drawing of the quilt.

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

Love your blocks, especially the round-bottom basket (bottom in photo). Katy is beautiful too.
I'll bet you'll love Pillars. I read it last month, and decided it's one of the best books I've read.

Cindy said...

You have been very busy this week my dear. I see Katy had some cheese while she was at grammy's house. She has such a beautiful smile and it seems like she loves her new quilt.

Latharia said...

I gotta say, there's nothing better in life than laughing yourself silly. :)

Nicole said...

I have a little Janome Gem, and I find I am grabbing it more often than my Singer Featherweight when I travel.

KC Quilter said...

What a wonderful gesture to give your machine to a new sewer! Just think, she'll be "one of us" in no time!!! Love your projects. You are industrious. Hey, DH and I love a good stupid movie every once in a while too--thanks for the review!

Libby said...

Your gift of the sewing machine turns out to be a real win/win! We have a new stitcher and you've gotten a lovely new machine *s*

Lisa D. said...

You always have such fun projects and neat goodies to share. And your granddaughter is just as cute as can be!

Anne said...

Thank you so much for visiting my new blog and for entering the giveaway.
I love the Kaffe Fassett kit you bought! :-) I have several of his quilt books (or as I call them, drooling material) and he makes some stunning quilts. Also love your new little machine. How does it sew? Would love to have one of those to take to classes.