Monday, February 23, 2009

It's Bernina Time!


I finally came to my senses and quit fooling around with other sewing machines and bought another Bernina!

JudyL had a discussion on her blog last week about sewing machines, and which one she liked to sew on, etc. Well, I have been thinking about that and have come to the conclusion that I was making better looking quilts with less trouble and all of my seams matched when I was sewing with a Bernina.

I had an Bernina 830 for years and when I started quilting I traded it in ( I know, don't fuss at me, lol) for a 150 Quilter's Edition. Never did like that one. For some reason it was never comfortable for me but I did sew some pretty quilts on it. I sold it last summer because it was just too heavy and I had sewed through my finger with it one day..scared the you know what out of me...and never was able to feel totally at ease with it after that. Besides, did I really need it with the Janome and the Pfaff I had, why no, of course not, lol.

Then I sold the Janome Gold that I had to a friend of mine for her daughter to use to learn to quilt on. I wasn't using it, seemed like the thing to do at the time, lol. Two weeks later I started going out to sew once a week and realized I had goofed.

I had heard so much about how great the Pfaff was with the IDF foot, so I bought a 2046 (I think that is the number) of those several years ago, it gave me a lot of trouble, and I finally traded it back to the store and got a 2056 when the came out. It sewed pretty well for maybe 3 months and ever since then I have had so many problems with it. I have had it looked at, etc, and finally, a lady told me what was probably wrong with it but I would have to take it to Enid to have it fixed. That is a lot of trouble. Plus, I don't think the quality is there.

I bought a Babylock Quilter Pro (only does straight stitching) to do machine quilting with 3 years ago. So far I have sewn on it twice and both times had problems with the tension. I don't have patience for stuff like that. One of these days when I make something small and have to quilt it, I will figure it out maybe. IF I can remember what I figure out...that is always a problem.

I bought a Janome Diamond (I think that is the name of it) last year, it is the small machine and just perfect for classes and a joy to sew on. You can't hurt it, BUT, I can't get a scant quarter inch and as a result have to rip a lot.

If I want to do a blanket stitch, that is a nightmare on either one of them. So I finally set down and thought about this problem and decided to bite the bullet and go back to what I know sews well and sews like I like.

I did not buy an expensive Bernina....I told the lady I wanted a good quarter inch, a good blanket stitch and a satin stitch I could make wider or more narrow as I stitched, and that is exactly what I got. Even with my eyes bothering me, my stitches are straighter and my seams are scant quarters, and even the blanket stitch looks good. I am a happy camper! And to top it all off, it is pretty lite as far as weight is concerned, so I can lug it around.

I still have my little Janome for a backup and the Pfaff for whatever. I never thought the day would come that I would own 4 sewing machines, but that isn't many from what I can tell for someone that quilts, lol. I do not intend to buy another one anytime soon. I just want to be able to sew a block without having to take out the stitching all the time.

I am as happy as a pig in sunshine, lol.......and just about as fat!

16 comments:

antique quilter said...

good for you
I love my bernina and will replace it with another one when the time comes
Yes other machines have good points too but why mess with my success?
LOL
bet your just so happy sewing again :)
Kathie

Lady Beekeeper said...

Oh, I am so excited for you!! I have a little Bernina as my backup and started out with it (a 220). I have to credit that little darling with helping me get hooked. Have fun with your new baby.

Is it feeling a bit spring-like from time to time in OKC yet?
Sigh.

Penny

Melanie said...

How exciting!!! You'll have so much fun with the new baby....Can't wait to see your first quilt. Make sure you document it for a memory.

Anonymous said...

Hi Perry, I'm happy you're happy with your new machine! I have a Bernina too and love it but I'll always struggle with my 1/4 inch seam. I struggle less on this machine, though. I have decided that my eyes must wander or something. I seem to be the only one with the problem. It doesn't matter what gadget I try but just moving my needle over helps the most. I guess I'll always need to redo seams but it is less so on the Bernina. I have a couple of old machines sitting around too, you know, "just in case," although there has never been a "just in case". Nancy in WI

Suzy said...

Congrats on your new Bernina! May it bring you many years of happiness. :o) I have a Bernina 440QE and a Viking Diamond. Love them both!

Julia said...

Congratulations!!! You will love it, I am sure. I have never owned anything but Bernina's and they have always sewed like a dream for me. I started with an old 830 too. What a machine. Wish I still had it. *sigh* Now I have an Artista 630 with the embroidery module and this is one machine that I won't ever part with!

Cathy said...

Thanks, Perry, for a very informative post. I am in the market for a new sewing machine. I have been using the same one since I bought it in 1974! I am seriously considering a Bernina.

Anonymous said...

That sounds like a PERFECT machine for me! What about a walking foot? I use that for binding. My 1230 is in the shop now and I'm anxious to see if it's "fixable" or if I'd be better off with something like what you got. 1/4" seam is about all that *really* matters to me when it comes to sewing.

Vicky said...

Good for you!! That's a dynamite little machine! I had the 135 for classes; it predated your model there. Did you get the 57 quarter inch foot? I couldn't sew without it! Congratulations!!

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

Congrats on the new sewing machine, Perry.

Stephanie D said...

I was so thrilled to buy my second-hand 1130 last year! Berninas rock!

Gena in Dallas said...

New toys are sooooo much fun!! The main disadvantage to owning multiple sewing machines is you can still only use one at a time. LOL If only there was a way....

Pat said...

Great! Enjoy your new machine! Hope your granddaughter is doing well. So sorry about that.

Red Geranium Cottage said...

WOOHOOOO good for you getting another machine. lolol One can never have too many. Although I must tell you I love my Pfaff. I've had it for almost 20 years. Replace the computer board once and would never get rid of it. I have heard that the newer Pfaff's are not worth crap though. Enjoy your sewing!! Good to hear that your happy as a PIG in sunshine. lolol What more could I ask for?

Candace said...

I love Bernina's too. I started with an 830, and passed it to my daughter. I have had my 1130 for almost 20 years, and it still feels like new. I have a Janome platinum that I love, and a Juki, that I am just starting with, and I love them both, but I'm partial to my Bernina's as they were my first good machines. My husband got the 830 after hearing my struggles with a Montgomery Ward's machine that he had bought me. It went back, and I got my 830 and was an extremely happy camper.

Saska said...

How come I haven't run across you before??

I have a Bernina 1080 purchased new in '96 and I just love her. The Bernina shop on N. May is usually where I go.